Maui Artisan Sourdough Bread
- Maui Artisan Sourdough (MAS) uses a blend of unbleached all purpose flour and a high gluten, high protein flour milled from spring wheat
- A small percent of high protein bread flour will ensure a strong foundation of the dough and maximize oven spring, as the moist Hawaiian air will add unwanted hydration
- Long cold fermentation methods up to 18+ hours are used to maximize a full bodied flavor of sourdough
- All our breads are free from any chemical additives or preservatives, such as potassium sorbate and bromate or vinegars
- 435g to 500g boules (rounds), batards (torpedo shape), and baguettes are carefully handcrafted each day for panini service at Alchemy Maui and for retail sales
- All product is “baked fresh” on a daily basis after final proof at room temperature
- MAS is always made from scratch and never re-heated
Advantages of Sourdough
- Wild Yeast & Lactobacillus bacteria neutralize phytic acid making it easier to digest
- Fermentation produces probiotics and a healthy gut
- Microbes produced during fermentation slow down the rate glucose is released, managing glucose levels in the body
- Starches are predigested in the grains, allowing the body to absorb more nutrients
- Creates Acetic acid, a natural preservative
- Gluten breakdown is easier, making it tolerant for people sensitive to gluten
- Sourdough bread resists mold, unlike conventionally leavened bread. Now Michael Gaenzle, and colleagues of the University of Alberta, Edmonton, have shown why. During sourdough production, bacteria convert the linoleic acid in bread flour to a compound that has powerful antifungal activity
Learn more about the benefits of eating sourdough bread.
All Natural & Baked Daily
Sourdough bread has been around for hundreds of years and to this day continues to be a staple in the family diet all across the world. The ancient technique of harvesting wild yeast from the air we breathe, feeding it with flour and water, and watching it grow into a culture that will never die. Thus, supplying families all over the world with a taste unlike any other.
Maui Artisan Sourdough has developed this method to perfection and continues to improve the freshness using all natural products to ensure quality, extend shelf life, and give the community the freshest sourdough bread baked daily.
The Quest for the Perfect Loaf
The whole challenge of working with sourdough is the reason that Mark created Maui Artisan Sourdough. The enjoyment of finding a recipe that works, the frustration, and especially the improvement.
Creating one loaf is a science of timing, hydration, kneading, stretching and folding (or slap and fold), and final shaping. But at the same time not exhausting the yeast to the point it won’t leaven the dough. Long cold fermentations and bringing the shaped dough from the cold, holding it at room temperature until it’s finally time to bake the loaves at the right temperature.
It can be very frustrating at times, but there is also a respect involved in making sourdough that feeds our journey. From the time the starter is fed, up until the yeast is energized enough to add to the flour and begin the leaven process. This is the time the dough begins to grow and grow, from the yeast eating away, producing lactic acid and building that true sourdough flavor.
There’s something about watching a sloppy mass of dough turn into a shiny, elastic ball formation that’s strong, shaped by hand, and put into a banneton or baguette mold that keeps our drive going.
And of course, always looking for that
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.