Maui Artisan Sourdough Bread
- High quality organic whole grain wheat and bread flour from San Francisco, milled from spring wheat.
- Long and cold fermentation methods, up to 14+ hours, are used to maximize each loaf with a full-bodied flavor and provide positive health benefits.
- All sourdough breads are handcrafted, making each individual loaf a true artisan product.
- Baked fresh daily and never frozen.
- Zero commercial dry yeast is present in all sourdough bread products. Maui Artisan Sourdough (MAS) only uses Maui-born wild yeast to naturally leaven doughs.
Advantages of Sourdough
- Wild Yeast & Lactobacillus bacteria neutralize phytic acid making it easier to digest
- Fermentation produces probiotics and a healthy gut
- Microbes produced during fermentation slow down the rate glucose is released, managing glucose levels in the body
- Starches are predigested in the grains, allowing the body to absorb more nutrients
- Creates Acetic acid, a natural preservative
- Gluten breakdown is easier, making it tolerant for people sensitive to gluten
- Sourdough bread resists mold, unlike conventionally leavened bread. Now Michael Gaenzle, and colleagues of the University of Alberta, Edmonton, have shown why. During sourdough production, bacteria convert the linoleic acid in bread flour to a compound that has powerful antifungal activity
Learn more about the benefits of eating sourdough bread.
All Natural & Baked Daily
Sourdough bread has been around for hundreds of years and to this day continues to be a staple in the family diet all across the world. The ancient technique of harvesting wild yeast from the air we breathe, feeding it with flour and water, and watching it grow into a culture that will never die. Thus, supplying families all over the world with a taste unlike any other.
Maui Artisan Sourdough has developed this method to perfection and continues to improve the freshness using all natural products to ensure quality, extend shelf life, and give the community the freshest sourdough bread baked daily.
The Quest for the Perfect Loaf
The whole challenge of working with sourdough is the reason that Mark created Maui Artisan Sourdough. The enjoyment of finding a recipe that works, the frustration, and especially the improvement.
Creating one loaf is a science of timing, hydration, kneading, stretching and folding (or slap and fold), and final shaping. But at the same time not exhausting the yeast to the point it won’t leaven the dough. Long cold fermentations and bringing the shaped dough from the cold, holding it at room temperature until it’s finally time to bake the loaves at the right temperature.
It can be very frustrating at times, but there is also a respect involved in making sourdough that feeds our journey. From the time the starter is fed, up until the yeast is energized enough to add to the flour and begin the leaven process. This is the time the dough begins to grow and grow, from the yeast eating away, producing lactic acid and building that true sourdough flavor.
There’s something about watching a sloppy mass of dough turn into a shiny, elastic ball formation that’s strong, shaped by hand, and put into a banneton or baguette mold that keeps our drive going.
And of course, always looking for that